Structural failures are a common problem in the cooling tower industry. Unfortunately there are many cases of very serious collapses. Obviously collapse can result into a serious accident and heavy losses. This is an attempt to make cooling towers collapse proof.
Various reasons of Collapse are –
- Improper selection of cross sections of timber
- Non use off proper columns and diagonals
- Poor matrix of columns
- Poor treatment
- No preventive maintenance
- Use of headers for 5 / 6 cells or more. Which is transferring the load to Timber Structures?
- Unloaded vibrations
- Use of improper faster ( MOC )
- Chemical attack & OR biological attack
- Improper supporting structure for Mechanical comments.
- Superficial repairs carried out in past.
- Ignorance of preventive maintenance of structures
- Poor workmanship of erection.
- Timber tower kept dry for longtime
- Improper joineries
Proactive Approach towards achieving collapse Proof structures –
- Structural Design strictly as per IS 883, – 1970 for timber and for Pultruded FRP as per CTI – 137. This should be certified by qualified structural consultants.
- Use of Risers
- Supporting header from outside.
- Centre column in RCC
- Use of fabricated structures in galvanized or epoxy coated steel below gearbox or in plenum area.
- Schedule preventive maintenance
- Use of online test facilities of timber on the guidelines of FRI – we can extend this facility.
- Testing of chemical treatment from research institute.
- Use of proper vibration sensors treatment from Research Institute.
- Use of load sensors.
- Use of still structures being a ductile material. No catastrophe failure.